qmwztlxb3

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

A different by-election question

If Gloria Kovach is successful in this Federal By-Election (of which I have no doubt), then she will be required to resign her seat as Ward 4 Councillor for the City of Guelph.

Past tradition would see Guelph City Council appoint Cam Guthrie, who finished in third place in the last Municipal Election.

The question is - is it time to break with this past practice? Should a by-election be held to replace Gloria Kovach in Ward 4? While there are cost implications to a by-election, that is but one factor. Look at it this way, if this practice was in place at the Federal level then Brent Barr would be your new MP.

Have your say in the poll on the right.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will accept any decision made by the Mayor regarding Ward 4's seat becoming vacant if Gloria wins this election.

The Mayor has the right to appoint someone, call a by-election or allow myself to take over the seat.

If a by-election is called. Then so be it. I'm ready.

It's a tough call for me personally as I'm a crusader for the democratic process (having a by-election) but also one the favours saving tax money (Given the seat to save the city money).

As I have said on another blog, it's not my fault I came in third in Ward 4. Nor is it my fault that Gloria decided to run against Brent, lose, then Brent get's let go, Gloria's back in etc... these are the cards I've been dealt.This has been a very stressful time for myself and my family for the past year and a half.

I think myself and Ward 4 just want it all over with.

Cam Guthrie
www.ward4news.ca

Blue Zone said...

Thanks Cam for sharing your thoughts on the situation with everyone.